Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Eyelash Extensions: The Pros and Cons

A look at some of the positives and negatives of lash extensions

Left: Natural lashes   Right: Lash extensions
I recently treated myself to lash extensions, I paid £60 for them but didn't have the best experience of them as they mostly fell out after just over a week. The spa were very apologetic and offered to replace them for free. In the end I didn't take them up on this offer as I wasn't very well on the day of the appointment, plus as a beauty blogger I enjoy wearing and testing new mascaras and couldn't do this with my false lashes. However, this experience has made me think it may be a good idea just to do a little post about the positives and negatives of lash extensions, as I wish I had been a little better informed before I parted with my hard earned cash.

Positives:
  • They look amazing! They really do look natural, make you look more awake and give your eyes and lashes impact.
  • Lash extensions save you loads of time in the morning. I didn't ever wear mascara on top of mine so my morning makeup routine just consisted of foundation and blush. The extra 10 minutes in bed was much appreciated!
  • You can still wear mascara on top of lash extensions. You just need to make sure that both the mascara and remover are oil free.
  • You can wear lash extensions with contact lenses. I wear contacts every day and I had no problems at all.
Negatives
  • They take ages to apply, I was shocked when I turned up at the spa and they said I would have to be there for 2 hours.
  • They are super expensive. I paid £60 for mine but I've read blog posts where people have paid up to £150 for them. If you want to keep them up you'll need both the time and money to maintain them. They need replacing about once every 3 to 4 weeks and mine would have been £21 for infills but elsewhere may be a lot more expensive. You can expect to be there anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour and a half for infills.
  • I personally really didn't enjoy the process of having them applied.I had to keep my eyes closed for 2 hours while a woman leaned over my face.I found it a little claustrophobic. 
  • Lash extensions can be irritating. When I woke up in the morning my eyes were a bit red and felt a little itchy but this wore off quite quickly as the morning progressed.
  • When they are removed you do lose a few natural lashes. I think I only lost three or four but if you have very sparse lashes this could be a problem.
  • Lash extensions aren't always applied well. This was the case with mine but the spa were great and offered to replace them for free but I can't imagine that everyone would be as apologetic and willing to correct them.
So there you are, I hope you found that helpful. I do actually miss my lash extensions but I just didn't enjoy having them applied and I find it difficult to find the time to get them replaced regularly. I definitely miss the extra 10 minutes in bed though!

11 comments:

  1. try prolash+ ... www.prolashplus.com
    natural way to beautiful lashes and more permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can vouch for the products provided by http://www.latissedoctor.com - I could never grow nice luscious lashes and artificial lashes didn't suit me. Check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but I think that your lashes are not professionally done.

    For example, see these pictures :)))) These are really beautiful eyelashes!!

    http://ekspertpiekna.blogspot.com/search/label/natural%20lashes

    Enjoy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I mean yes the price seem to be expensive to you but they go for much more than that. Actually that is a pretty low price. Maybe the reason the price was so low was because the Lash Stylist was not experience and was using you to practice on.

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain! I've always had sparse lashes and had to gob on mascara.. false lashes always felt awkward. I tried something called Neulash recently and love the results! I have thicker, fuller lashes and don't need as much mascara. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better to go and know about the pa lour and then use that in a effective way.So sad about you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to use false eyelashes but so sad it can fall anytime and anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Based on your experience with eyelash extensions, I think you’re the mascara type of person. And I can relate to you well. Though I’d love to have full and long lashes too, I’d rather go the more natural way (with the help of mascara of course). I think this is just a case of “to each her own.” If it’s okay for you to go through the hassles of donning eyelash extensions, then go, by all means! And I think there are better lash extensions out there, so maybe the cons will be less. Thanks for this list, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were you tempted to have an eyelash extension again? It’s really unfortunate that your first time having them was unsatisfactory. It would have been great to have beautiful lashes if only they were applied properly. But anyway, since you were experimenting, at least you were able to know what works best for you.

    Regards,
    Gregg Mulherin

    ReplyDelete
  9. your eyes looks very attractive after eye extensions

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Toronto and I love love love eyelash extensions! it is not time consuming as its said here. it takes about an hour when I got to get my eyelashe extensions done.
    I go to Divine Lashes (www.divinelashes.ca) and Yoori does an awesome job every time!

    ReplyDelete